Saturday, October 26, 2019


The Eagle must have sensed me sitting alone
As he swirled between the clouds,
Before he swooped low and landed nearby.
He was so beautiful, it was breathtaking.

After a few minutes I spoke to him.
Do you give rides? I asked.

Then I told him how fortunate he was
To soar high above the land.
And my envy of his ability
To see the Earth’s beauty from the sky.

After several moments, he came closer.
Close enough to touch.

Suddenly, he was facing me,
Spreading his giant wings.
Looking into my eyes, he seemed to say,
Well, what are you waiting for?

A sense of joy overcame me and
Feeling no fear, I climbed upon his back.

And thus began my flight
Far above the Earth,
Clinging to the neck of this
Magnificent creature.

It was magical.
I was in another world!

He flew over snow-capped mountains,
Treetops seemed to wave at us in greeting.
Great rivers and lakes,
Shimmered in the sun below.

The air was crisp and cooling
On that hot Summer day,

I saw faraway countries
Sprawled beneath me.
Places I have longed to see,
Even if only in my dreams.

For hours I marveled
At the stunning sights below.

When finally the skies began to darken,
The view became even more spectacular.
As the bright Sun started to fade
Into its deep slumber.

One by one, the Stars awakened
Winking at me from above.

Glittering designs began to form
For me to admire.
Ursa Major, Orion’s Belt, Canis Minor.
I blew a kiss to each.

Too soon, the Eagle slowly descended,
Leaving me at the very place he’d found me.

I hugged him gently and thanked him
For his kindness.
He glanced back at me for a moment,
Then slowly disappeared back into the clouds.

I go back to the spot often
Longing for the day he returns.



No comments:

Post a Comment