Sunday, March 29, 2020

Karen gave me 6 words around which to write a story. As usual, I self-imposed a 1000 word limit. Exactly 1000 (not including the title).

So here's the story. The words used were: codeine, muffins, socks, turkey, daffodils, crochet.


The Reunion

The screen door creaked open and elderly Eleanor Frampton plodded her way to the rocking chair on the front porch. With a sigh, she sat down and picked up her crochet project.

“Looks like it’s going to be another beautiful day!”

Yes, dear.

“The daffodils are starting to bloom!”

Finally, she put the yarn down to admire puffy white images making their way across the blue sky.

“I’m going to fix meatloaf for dinner. I know that’s one of your favorites.”

Yes, dear.

She resumed her crocheting while talking about her earlier memories.

“I remember when we were kids, collecting beer bottles and selling comic books door to door trying to get enough money to go to the movies. Do you remember that?”

Yes, dear.

“Two miles we walked! Uphill. Both ways! Those were the days. Kids today don’t know anything but video games. What a waste. Ahhh….I miss those days.”

The weeks and months passed by in much the same fashion. Idle chatter. On those days when the weather refused to oblige, the activity moved inside, near the fireplace. But the banter remained mostly the same.

“It’s a bit chilly outside, so I’ll stay inside and make muffins. Would you like that?”

Yes, dear.

And before long, the tantalizing aroma of Eleanor’s special recipe would fill the small kitchen and waft almost visibly into the sitting room.

Then one day, she answered a knock at the front door.

“Hi, Eleanor! I’m going into town to pick up some things and wondered if you needed anything, or wanted to come along,” asked her neighbor who frequently checked on her.

“Oh, my, yes! That would be lovely, Susan. Just let me get my coat and purse.”

“Great. I’m parked in the driveway, so just come out when you’re ready.”

And with that, Eleanor closed the door and went to fetch her coat and purse.

“I’m going into town with Susan. Will you be alright on your own for a bit?”

Yes, dear.

Upon arriving at the grocery store, Eleanor and Susan steered their carts in opposite directions, with their shopping lists in hand.

Before long, Eleanor heard a familiar voice behind her. “Mum! I was going to call you later, but here you are! David and I are planning to visit on Sunday. We want to discuss selling the house and moving you….”

“No! No! No! I’ve already told you that, Rebecca. Several times.”

“But Dad would….”

“Nevermind about Dad. He would not want to sell the house. End of discussion. Now, it would be lovely if you and David came for dinner, but there is to be no mention of selling the house. Do you understand?”

“But Mum….”

“Do. You. Understand?”

“Alright, Mum. I can’t promise that David won’t bring it up, but….”

“Speak to him, then.”

“Okay. I will bring the turkey that was left over from Easter, there’s plenty of that left.”

“Great. I’ll fix the side dishes, then. Well, I’d better finish up here so I’m all done when Susan’s ready to leave.”

“Okay, Mum. I would take you back but I’m only here to exchange some cough medicine for my neighbor. I got the wrong kind before – she can’t have codeine. So I have to go right back. We’ll see you on Sunday then, about noon-ish?”

“Noon-ish is good. Bye, darling. I love you.”

“Bye Mum. I love you, too!”

And with mutual cheek kisses the conversation ended.

Upon arriving home and putting away the few things she’d bought, she became more and more anxious about the upcoming visit.

“I saw Rebecca at the store. She and David are planning to come over for dinner on Sunday. They want to talk about selling the house and moving in with them. I told her it was out of the question. She tried to tell me it’s what you would want, but I stood my ground.

“You agree with me about this, right? We’ve discussed this before.”

Yes, dear.

“Good. Well, let’s just hope they don’t try to sneak it into the conversation somehow.”

And with that, she put a bowl of cat food on the floor. “Come on, Socks! I got you some yummy new food, made especially for beautiful cats like you!”

But try as she might, she could not stop worrying about any possible discussion about house selling. And by Saturday she had all but exhausted herself with the stress of it all.

On Sunday morning, Eleanor busied herself with preparations for the afternoon dinner. Shortly before 11:00, she decided to go out onto the porch and rest for a bit. Just try to relax.

“I’m just going to nap for a few minutes before everyone arrives. Don’t let me sleep too long though!”

Yes dear.

It was maybe half an hour later, when she felt a hand on her shoulder.

“It’s time, dear. Come along now.”

Eleanor slowly opened her eyes and smiled up into the handsome face of her husband, Joseph. She then took his hand as he helped her from the chair and led her down the front steps to an elegant limousine, where he held open the back passenger door and motioned for her to get inside.

She stammered a few moments…. “But….where are we going? The kids will be here soon.” Her husband closed the door and got in on the other passenger side.

“Joseph….? Where are we going??? I haven’t got my purse! And the doors are unlocked!” she said in a bit of panic.

“Not to worry dear. Everything will be taken care of.”

A few minutes later, Rebecca and David arrived to find Eleanor asleep in the chair on the porch. “We’re here, Mum!” But Eleanor didn’t move.

An ambulance was summoned, but it was too late. Her heart had simply given up.

Joseph tapped the driver on the shoulder and with a nod, the vehicle moved slowly away from the house, and disappeared with Eleanor and her long-dead husband Joseph, into the Twilight Zone of Death.


No comments:

Post a Comment