Sunday, January 28, 2018

The eyes.

Yes, those eyes that locked with mine so many years ago
On a crowded dance floor

When we were young.

So many years and memories ago.

Those same eyes now reached deep into my sad soul
And found me in the dark corner where I’d been hiding.

(You know the place I mean, don’t you?)

We all have them.

Our secret place where we sit and wait.
Not always knowing exactly what it is we are waiting for.

We just know we don’t have it.

When I saw the tiny light shine, I was afraid.

Afraid of possibilities.

Promises.

Disappointment.

Of nothingness.

Best to be still. Quiet. Silent.

What cannot find you cannot hurt you.

(You know the feeling, don’t you?)

The fear.

Yet the voice broke through the protective armor I’d decorated with false cheerfulness and smiles.

Loving words coaxing me to please listen.

Words. Just words.

La la la la la la la…. I’m not listening!

But then I begin to weaken. The words become too powerful.

I don’t want to hear!

I am afraid.

Little by little, the light gets brighter.

At last, I allow myself to look back into those eyes.

The same eyes I’d run away from so many years ago.

And once again, we are on the dance floor.

It doesn’t really matter how you found me.

I’m just happy that you never stopped looking.





No comments:

Post a Comment